You may substitute regular bacon for the pancetta, but in that case, partially cook the bacon in a heavy skillet over MEDIUM heat on the side burner until some of the fat is rendered, about one minute per side.
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 20 jumbo shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 10 thin slices lean pancetta, sliced in half
- Combine the first 10 ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl. Add the shrimp and marinate for 30 minutes. Wrap the shrimp with the pancetta, securing it with a toothpick.
- Preheat the barbecue, and brush the cooking grids with oil. Grill on HIGH heat, 3-4 minutes per side, until the shrimp becomes opaque and curls.