Gather around the grill with this inspirational recipe and grilling ideas for family and friends.
- 1 recipe whole wheat pizza dough
- 1 onion, halved lengthwise then thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red pepper, cut into large chunks
- barbecue sauce
- pulled pork
- grated Monterey Jack Cheese
- Prepare pizza dough according to your favourite recipe, or thaw frozen dough. For ease of last minute preparation, we shaped the dough into very small (4-5") individual pizzas, and grilled them on a preheated barbecue set to MEDIUM for about 2 minutes per side or until cooked and golden. We then let them cool on a wire rack and stored them in a ziplock bag until ready to assemble and cook. The crusts can be prepared to this point one day ahead and left at room temperature, or even weeks ahead and stored in the freezer.
- Heat the olive oil in a 12" skillet, and add the sliced onion. Cook over MEDIUM LOW stirring every 4-5 minutes, until golden and sweet, about ½ hour to 45 minutes. Let cool. Meanwhile, grill the red pepper until tender, and set aside to cool. Chop into large dice.
Up to 3 hours before serving, spread the crusts with a small amount of barbecue sauce. Scatter with a small amount of pulled pork and caramelized onion, sprinkle with grated Monterey Jack cheese, and top with red peppers. Just before serving, bake or grill until heated through and cheese is bubbling, about 10 minutes at 375°.