Flank steak is a lean cut of beef, which is also very flavourful. This simple recipe is done in two stages: prepare the marinade one day, and cook the next. This is a perfect example of stress-free grilling.
- Prep time: 10 minutes / 6 hour marinade
- Serves: 4
- Difficulty: 2/5
- Cook time: 10 minutes
For the marinade
- 1/4 cup soya sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- Rinse and dry the flank steak, use a 50/50 vinegar/water mixture. Score the meat lightly in a 2-in (5 cm) diamond pattern to allow the flavour of the marinade to penetrate. Combine marinade ingredients in a heavy resealable bag. Place meat in the marinade, seal and marinate in the refrigerator 6 hours or overnight, turn 2-3 times to expose the meat thoroughly.
- Preheat your Broil King® on HIGH, season or brush the grids with oil to prevent sticking. Place the flank steak on grids, reduce heat to MEDIUM. Grill approximately 5 minutes per side for medium. Allow the steak to rest for 3-5 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, pour the marinade into a small saucepan, bring to a boil on the side burner, boil for 2-3 minutes to reduce.
- Carve the steak into thin slices diagonally, against the grain. Drizzle the marinade reduction over the meat.