Gather around the grill with this inspirational recipe and grilling ideas for family and friends.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 6 slices fresh pineapple , or substitute: 3 apples, pears or other firm fresh fruit, peeled and sliced
- 6 maraschino cherries
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups flour, all–purpose
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat barbecue on MEDIUM for 10 minutes. Adjust heat setting so that oven thermometer consistently reads 350°F. This may require turning off a burner.
- For the batter: Mix together the butter, sugar, cinnamon and ginger, and spread on the bottom of a heavy grill–proof 10" baking pan, preferably cast iron or coated cast iron. Arrange the fruit on top and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar, and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, vanilla and salt and stir until smooth. Add flour and baking powder and beat for one minute. Pour the batter over the fruit layer.
- Place pan on the left side of the grill and turn off left burner. Close the lid and cook until the top of the cake springs back, about 45 minutes. Monitor the thermometer on the front of the grill lid frequently and adjust the cooking temperature to maintain a temperature of 350°F.
- NOTE: Can be served warm with vanilla ice cream.
Recipe from Gathering Around The Grill Cookbook