For a timesaver, combine all the ingredients with the butter and baste the fish as it cooks. These spices would be suitable for any firm fleshed fish such as haddock, swordfish or cod.
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp ground chili peppers
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 halibut fillets, 8 oz each
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest, finely grated
- 2 tbsp dry vermouth
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- Combine the salt, pepper, sugar, chili, and garlic in a small bowl. Rinse and pat dry the fish. Evenly sprinkle rub over the fish and pat it in well. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Preheat grill on MEDIUM then adjust heat to MEDIUM - LOW. Combine the butter, lemon juice, zest and vermouth in a small bowl. Lightly oil the cooking grids and place the fish on the barbecue, skin side down. Drizzle with half the butter mixture, close the lid, and grill about 5 minutes. Using a spatula, gently lift the fish off of the skin, which will stick slightly to the grids. Discard the skin using tongs, and flip the fish to the other side. Drizzle with the remaining butter mixture and grill another 5 minutes, or until the fish flakes. Serve immediately, garnished with lemon slices.