If you haven't tried pork belly yet... what are you waiting for?! This recipe gives you smoky, sweet and tender results that you'll want to hog all to yourself.
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Serves: 10
- Difficulty: 4/5
- Cook time: 90 minutes
- 3–4 pound (1.36-1.81 kg) uncured pork belly
For the smoke
- 1–2 cups of soaked fruit wood chips like apple or cherry
For the marinade
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons crushed red chili peppers
- 1 cup water
- 12–24 hours ahead of time, combine marinade ingredients in food processor and blend until garlic is finely chopped. Place pork belly in a large resealable plastic bag and pour over marinade. Refrigerate overnight.
For the maple glaze
- 1/4 cup quality bourbon
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- Prepare glaze by combining bourbon, maple syrup, Dijon, parsley, vinegar and red pepper flakes in a glass dish.
For the final seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper and kosher salt
- Prepare the Broil King® Keg for direct grilling at 250°F (121°C) and add 1 cup wood chips. Place the pork belly into a disposable aluminum tray or the Broil King® Rib Roaster and pour marinade and 1 cup water over top. Cover and seal edges tightly so that steam doesn’t escape. Place in the Keg and cook for 5 ½ hours.
- Remove pan from Keg with foil still sealed tightly, allow pork belly to rest in the liquid for 2 hours.
- Add the second cup of soaked wood chips to the Keg and open the vents to bring oven temperature to 375°F (191°C). Remove pork belly from pan and reserve cooking liquid. The pork belly will be quite delicate at this point and will require gentle handling, luckily the Broil King® Rib Roaster has an integrated grate, or use a wire grilling rack. Very carefully transition the pork belly from the roaster or foil to the rack or cooking grid. Place pork belly skin side down. Allow skin to crisp for 15 minutes, monitor for flare ups.
- Carefully remove pork belly from the Keg and brush all over with glaze. Return to the Keg and cook for 5 minutes, carefully turn, apply remaining glaze and cook for another 5 minutes. The pork belly is finished when the glaze caramelizes on the meat and is a beautiful glossy dark brown.
- Garnish with chopped parsley, green onions, salt and pepper on the cutting board and sprinkle with apple cider vinegar. Carefully remove the pork belly from the basket or wire rack and place on top of this mixture. Allow to rest for 10 minutes. Sprinkle final seasoning and cut the pork belly into one and a half-inch square cubes, continue to season. The reserved cooking liquid can be used as a flavourful sauce, once the fat has been separated. Pour into a small saucepan and bring to a boil for 2–3 minutes. Reduce heat and cook for another 10 minutes.