- Pork Souvlaki In a Pita
A delicious grilled sandwich for lunch or a light dinner. If you are pressed for time, serve with store bought tzatziki sauce instead of making your own.
- 1 1/2 lb boneless pork loin, 1 1/2" cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp fresh dill, chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 pita bread, halved
- Prepare marinade by whisking together olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, thyme and garlic in a glass dish. Add cubed pork and marinate for 6 hours in refrigerator or overnight.
- Meanwhile, prepare tzatziki by combining yogurt, cucumber, garlic, lemon juice, dill, salt and pepper. Chill at least 1 hour to blend the flavours.
- Thread the pork onto metal skewers or bamboo skewers that have been soaked in water for 30 minutes.
- Preheat barbecue on HIGH and brush grids with vegetable oil to prevent sticking. Reduce the heat to MEDIUM, and place the pork skewers on the grill. Cook 4 – 6 minutes per side, turning once.
- Lightly grill each side of the pita bread, place the pork inside the pocket, and serve with tzatziki sauce.