Rock Cornish game hens are all white meat birds, they have a slightly gamey taste that combines well with a fruit marinade.
- Prep time: 10 minutes / 4 hour marinate
- Serves: 4
- Difficulty: 3/5
- Cook time: 30 minutes
- 2 Rock Cornish game hens, split lengthwise
For the marinade
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 shallots, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup raspberry vinegar
juice of 1/4 lemon
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Rinse hens and pat dry, split them lengthwise. Cut all the way through with a heavy sharp knife. Combine the remaining ingredients in a medium-sized bowl, whisking to emulsify. Place the hens in two resealable bags and divide the marinade evenly between them. Marinate for up to 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the grill on HIGH. Reduce to MEDIUM and lightly oil the cooking grids. Place the hens skin side down, and sear 1-2 minutes, turn and sear the other side. Close the lid, reduce heat to LOW, cook 25 minutes, turn and baste twice while grilling.