These kebabs can be served over rice, or in bundles of baby romaine lettuce leaves, garnished with cucumber and mint.
- 1 1/2 lb boned and skinned chicken breast halves
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp green peppercorns
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 limes, squeezed and zested
- Soak wooden skewers in water, if using.
- Cut chicken into 1" square pieces.
- Place both types of peppercorns in a dry skillet and place over medium heat. Shake the pan over the flame until peppercorns are aromatic but not scorched. Using a spice grinder or a mortar and pestle, grind until coarse and gritty. Transfer to a shallow glass dish and add the salt, apricot preserves, garlic, fish sauce and lime juice. Reserve some lime zest for garnish, and add the remainder to the marinade. Mix to a sticky paste. Add the chicken and stir until well coated.
- Preheat barbecue on HIGH, then reduce heat to MEDIUM.
- Meanwhile, thread 4 pieces of chicken on each skewer. Grill 4 - 5 minutes per side.