This is a variation of the recipe in our cookbook, with the changes reflecting what was in our pantry at that moment.
For the Marinade
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic - minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Smoked Blue Cheese Dip
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon onion, grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup smoked blue cheese, crumbled
- Light the Broil King Keg and adjust the settings for a constant temperature of 275°F. Do not use a diffuser pan. Scatter soaked wood chips (we used whiskey flavoured chips) over the coals.
- Cut each wing at the joint to make two pieces, and discard the tip. In a large bowl, whisk together vegetable oil, garlic, spices and vinegar. Add chicken wings and toss to coat. Place the chicken wings on the Keg, using two layers of racks if needed. After 1/2 hour, move the wings around for even cooking. Continue to smoke for another 1/2 hour to an hour, until cooked through and slightly browned.
- At this point we placed them all on a rimmed baking sheet and refrigerated them overnight. We reheated them for 20 minutes in the oven before serving.
- Assorted raw vegetables. Mix the dip ingredients together in a medium bowl and cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight to develop the flavours.