Gather around the grill with this inspirational recipe and grilling ideas for family and friends.
- 1, 12-lb turkey
- 2 yellow onions, quartered
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh sage
- 2 handfuls of soaked wood chunks
- Prepare the turkey by rinsing under cool water and patting it dry. Rub the outside with canola oil and stuff with onion quarters and fresh herbs.
- Prepare the Keg for indirect grilling at 225°F. Scatter soaked wood chips over the coals. Fill the diffuser pan with warm water. Place prepared turkey on lower grids and close lid.
- Have handy a spray bottle filled with apple juice, with a bit of maple syrup, whiskey and cayenne pepper added. Spray turkey every 45 minutes, as it cooks.
- Allow the turkey to cook slowly for 6 hours, at a temperature of 225°F. Use a meat thermometer to monitor the cooking progress. Once the internal temperature of the breast meat has reached 170°F, remove the turkey from the Keg and wrap in foil.
- Let rest for half an hour, while the other parts of the meal are being organized. This is a step that you should never skip when making a roast or whole poultry. Resting allows all of the juices to regroup within the muscles of the meat.
- The result will be a very moist and flavourful turkey that the whole family will enjoy.