The chicken could also be served over rice or pasta instead of in a pita for a more elegant meal.
- 2 chicken breast halves, skinned and boned
- 1 tbsp olive oil sprig oregano
- sprig thyme, chopped
- sprig rosemary, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- minced salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 yellow squash or zucchini, quartered
- 1/3 cup cilantro pesto
- 2 pita bread, halved
- 2 cups cilantro leaves, washed
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Drizzle olive oil over the chicken, and sprinkle with fresh herbs, garlic, and salt and pepper, to taste. Allow to marinate in the fridge at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cilantro pesto
- Place the leaves, garlic, and walnuts in the bowl of your food processor. Pulse until quite fine, stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides. Add the lemon juice and process a few seconds.
- Add the olive oil and process a few seconds to thoroughly blend. Add the cheese, salt and pepper, and blend for 15 – 20 seconds.
- Can be stored covered in the fridge for up to a week, or freeze in small portions for later use.
- Prepare barbecue by preheating on HIGH, and brushing the grids with olive oil.
- Place the chicken on the grill, and reduce heat to MEDIUM. Cook for 6 minutes, turn, and place the squash on the grill beside it. Turn the squash after 2 – 3 minutes, and continue grilling both until cooked, about 2 – 3 more minutes.
- Slice the chicken into strips, and the vegetables into small chunks. Place in a medium sized bowl, and toss with 1/3 cup pesto. Spoon into the 4 pita halves, and garnish with alfalfa sprouts, if desired. Serve immediately.