The sweet flavour of this colourful salad is the perfect compliment to simply grilled chicken breasts.
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp tarragon vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup orange sections
- 2 avocados, peeled and chopped
- 5 cups mixed salad greens, washed and torn
- In a small skillet over MEDIUM – LOW, combine the almonds and sugar and stir constantly until the sugar caramelizes on the almonds, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat immediately, and spread on a plate or cookie sheet to cool. Break them apart if necessary, and store in an airtight container.
- To prepare the salad dressing, combine the lemon juice, honey, vinegar and mustard in a large salad bowl. Whisking constantly, drizzle in the olive oil in a thin stream. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Prepare the onions, oranges and avocados, and toss them with the dressing. At the last minute, add the chilled lettuce leaves, sprinkle the almonds overtop, and toss gently.