Gather around the grill with this inspirational recipe and grilling ideas for family and friends.
- 1 basket roma tomatoes, smoked
- 1 basket field tomatoes, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 4 stalks celery
- 2 cobs corn, kernels removed with a knife
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Handful fresh basil
- Smoke the tomatoes as outlined in the vegetable smoking chart. Meanwhile, prepare the field tomatoes and set aside.
- In a stock pot or large dutch oven, heat the olive oil and sauté the onions and shallots until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté one minute until fragrant. Add the carrots, celery, and corn. Sauté briefly, then add the stock and wine. Add both kinds of tomatoes, and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently until all the vegetables are very tender. Cool slightly.
- Puree in batches in a blender, adding a few basil leaves to each batch before pureeing.
- May be served hot or cold, garnished with a dollop of crème fraiche and a basil leaf.