This salad is a real crowd pleaser. You can buy chili oil in the supermarket if you like, but if you make a batch of ours, you will have lots left to make more salad dressing! It is also excellent for rubbing on meat before grilling, and can be stored for up to two months.
- 1 pkg (300 g) dried steamed egg noodles
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cup chili oil (see recipe below)
- 1 1/2 cups canola oil
- 3 whole thai chili peppers
- 2 tsp ginger (unpeeled), chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 tsp coriander seed
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- Cook noodles and broccoli florets in a large pot of salted, rapidly boiling water for 3 1/2 minutes. Drain and cool down quickly under cold running water. Place in a large bowl and add red peppers, red onions and carrots. Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid and shake vigorously. Toss salad with 1/2 cup of dressing, adding more as desired. Season with salt and pepper, garnish with toasted sesame seeds and chopped cilantro.
- Chili Oil: Put all ingredients in a pot and simmer for 2 hours. Do not let boil. Turn off heat and let cool. Strain and store in a glass jar, in a cool, dark cupboard.
Recipe from Gathering Around The Grill Cookbook