This is our mother's signature salad. The recipe was created at the Walper Hotel in Kitchener, which was owned and operated for many years by Mom's grandfather, father, and brother. This is definitely a family favourite!
- 2 lb spinach, washed and torn
- 1/2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp grated onion
- pinch dry mustard
- 2 tbsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the spinach in cold water. Tear out tough stems, and discard. Drain the leaves, wrap in paper towels and chill.
- Fry bacon, crumble and set aside.
- To prepare dressing, pour the remaining ingredients into a tightly sealed mason jar, and shake vigorously for 3 minutes. The thicker the dressing, the better! Taste to adjust seasonings; the dressing should have a sweet–sour taste.
- To assemble the salad, roll several chilled spinach leaves together into a cylindrical shape. Shred with a sharp knife and repeat. Place the shredded spinach in a salad bowl, sprinkle with bacon, and toss with the dressing.