For a variation, substitute penné and serve as a cold salad.
- 1 head garlic
- 12 medium plum tomatoes, halved
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- fettuccine or other pasta
- Preheat barbecue on LOW. Drizzle a little olive oil over the whole garlic, and place it on the top warming rack. Cook until the garlic cloves have softened, about 20 minutes in total.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss the halved tomatoes with 1/4 cup of the olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Increase the heat to MEDIUM - HIGH and grill the tomatoes skin side down until lightly charred, 2 - 3 minutes. Turn once, and grill another 2 - 3 minutes. Remove from grill, discard the skin and seeds, and coarsely chop the remaining pulp.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil on the sideburner of your barbecue. Toss in the pasta and cook until al denté.
- Separate the cloves of garlic, and squeeze the roasted garlic into the bowl containing the chopped tomatoes. Stir in the parsley, basil, butter, remaining olive oil, and season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Toss with hot pasta and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.