Substitute any other vegetables that you like for the topping. If you have any vegetarians in the group, leave out the prosciutto: It is delicious without it!
- 2 red peppers, roasted
- 8 medium portobello mushrooms
- 1 100g block Parmesan cheese
- 8 thin slices prosciutto
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup pesto sauce
- Preheat barbecue on HIGH heat. Place red peppers on the grill, and char on all sides, turning as needed. Remove from barbecue, and cool on a chopping board. When cool enough to handle, peel off the black skin, remove stem and seeds and slice.
- To prepare Parmesan cheese, use a vegetable peeler to cut long slices of cheese off of the block.
- To prepare portobello mushrooms, remove stems and set aside (use stems later to make a soup or mushroom sauce).
- Brush smooth top of mushroom cap with olive oil. Spread 1 teaspoon of pesto over gill side of mushroom cap. Top with a slice of prosciutto, slice of Parmesan cheese, 2 pieces of cherry tomato and 2 slices of roasted red pepper.
- Place the mushrooms on the barbecue and reduce heat to MEDIUM. Cook for 5 - 7 minutes, until tender-crisp.