Gather around the grill with this inspirational recipe and grilling ideas for family and friends.
- 3 sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 3 tablespoons mild smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- pinch sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 ripe avocado, pitted and flesh scooped from the skin
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- Avocado Dip: Combine the oil, lime juice, garlic, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, avocado, cilantro and 3/4 teaspoon salt in a blender jar Process until smooth. Taste and season with more salt if needed.
- Smoked Sweet Potatoes: In a small saucepan, heat the oil on a MEDIUM setting. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 60 seconds, then add the remaining marinade ingredients. Whisk to combine, then simmer on MEDIUM-LOW for about 10 minutes to blend the flavours. Cool.
- Meanwhile, light the coals of the smoker. Soak 1 cup apple wood chips in warm water. When the coals are glowing, drain the wood chips and scatter them over the coals. Do not use a drip pan as you want a dry heat to cook these sweet potatoes.
- Brush the sweet potato wedges with the marinade, and lay them on the smoker. Cook, turning occasionally, for about 45 minutes, or until tender. Serve with the Avocado Dip to cool the spices.