Gather around the grill with this inspirational recipe and grilling ideas for family and friends.
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin seeds
- 2 tsp chopped canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp fancy molasses
- 1 can beer
- 1 can(398 ml) each of black, red and white beans, drained
- Cook the bacon until crisp, place on a paper towel to drain and set aside, reserving 2 tbsp of the rendered bacon fat.
- Add diced onion to the bacon fat in the skillet and cook over medium heat, until soft and translucent. Add garlic, chili powder, ground cumin and chipotle peppers and cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse beans and add them to a large Dutch oven. Add beer, brown sugar, molasses and onion mixture. Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered for 45 minutes, or until sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Add the bacon and place in the smoker for the last 15 minutes of cooking, while the ribs are being glazed and finished over a higher temperature (400°F). At this point, taste and season with salt and pepper, if required.
- The beans and bacon may contain enough salt that you will not want to add any more to the dish! If the sauce has not thickened enough, leave them on the smoker until the ribs are ready to eat.